Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Bargain Book: Impossible by Nancy Werlin



Impossible by Nancy Werlin is temporarily bargain priced in paperback on Amazon for $4.00. It's not available in ebook format at all, so this is the only option for reading it.

Book description:

A beautifully wrought modern fairy tale from master storyteller and award-winning author Nancy Werlin.

Inspired by the classic folk ballad "Scarborough Fair," this is a wonderfully riveting and haunting novel of suspense, romance, and fantasy. Lucy is seventeen when she discovers that she is the latest recipient of a generations-old family curse that requires her to complete three seemingly impossible tasks or risk falling into madness and passing the curse on to the next generation. Unlike her ancestors, though, Lucy has family, friends, and other modern resources to help her out. But will it be enough to conquer this age-old evil?

I am always fascinated by novels inspired by ballads and Scarborough Fair is one of my favorites thanks to growing up listening to Simon and Garfunkle. I'm sure the song is going to earworm through my head all day today.

The reviews are very mixed on this book due to some content so you may read a few reviews and determine if the divisive issues discussed will affect your enjoyment of the book. I haven't read it myself but am interested. While the issues are very important to me--rape especially--I imagine their connection to folklore would probably lessen my own knee jerk reaction despite the modern setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment