Thursday, December 2, 2010

Rapunzel's Hair as Tool, Very Brief



Rapunzel's Revenge Calamity Jack

Speaking of Rapunzels related to Tangled, it's fascinating to me that not too many Rapunzels use their hair for feats of derring-do and adventure.  I think Rapunzel has been so locked in that tower and thus in our minds as a prisoner that she has seldom been empowered by the possibilities of her hair beyond climbing mechanism. 

That is what makes Shannon Hale and Dean Hale's Rapunzel's Revenge and Calamity Jack such fun books, for Rapunzel uses her hair for empowerment.  These are recent books and quite fun, of course. And let me say I can already imagine the papers on the Tangled Rapunzel's usage of her hair (and that frying pan!) as well as Rapunzel's Revenge usage of hair as post-feminist representations of women's objects (the frying pan stereotype) and body parts as tools of power instead of subjugation. If you are a student, feel free to use the topic, I don't plan to ever use it again!  And don't forget to discuss, red and blonde vs. plain old brown!

Or you can just read the graphic novels and have a grand old time.  Either way, beware the urge to let your hair grow longer...

And while we're here, I'm writing this late at night for the morning and can't think of other Rapunzels who do use their hair as weapons and tools of empowerment.  Add to the list in the comments and remind me of what I am forgetting!  Besides the many advertisements using Rapunzel to sell things.  There have been several of those.

(I'm not going to go back and count the exclamation points in this post.  It'll just depress me!)

1 comment:

  1. I've read both of these, and they're a lot of fun. The Wild West theme works surprisingly well for her re-imagined story!

    ReplyDelete