Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Jack and the Beanstalk Illustrations

One of my sorrows with SurLaLune is that I can only showcase older illustrations of fairy tales, not the more recent ones due to copyright restrictions. However, the wonder of the internet means that several of the artists post samples of their work for portfolio work.

Today, I offer a collection of some well-known and lesser knowns from their online portfolios. Click on their names to go to portfolio sites or on the images to see the pictures full size (Blogspot crops and crops again).

This collection is by no means comprehensive or necessarily of my absolute favorites. They just happened to catch my eye as I was preparing for Jack and the Beanstalk Week.

I am always fascinated by the age choices for portraying Jack.


by Elizabeth O Dulemba from Paco and the Giant Chile Plant/Paco y la planta de chile gigante (Bilingual English/Spanish) by Keith Polette


by Wendy Berry


by Scott Gustafson from his Classic Fairy Tales


by Fiona Sansom


by Carol Newsom


by Lindy Burnett


by Patricia Cantor Okay, this one captures the terror of the chase without being graphic better than almost any illustration of this moment I've seen. Brava!

No comments:

Post a Comment